blunt essays with sharp points
Dec 16, 2008 9:54 PM– I have customized Google Chrome to make it simple to send the current page to:
- Blogger (create a post about the page)
- Google Bookmarks (bookmark the page)
- Gmail a.k.a. Google Mail (create an e-mail containing the page)
- Wayback (show the page’s revision history)
- Google Translate (show the page in English translation)
The result of this customization is the “Send to” menu. This is very easy to set up and requires no special technical knowledge. This customization is not original with me but it has worked very well for me. Harry McCracken gets the credit.
- If the Google Chrome bookmarks bar is hidden, bring it into view with
Ctrl-B. [Google changed this keyboard shortcut in 2010 to avoid a conflict with the standard use of Ctrl+B to bold text.]
- Right button click on in the bookmarks bar (but not on an existing folder), then click Add folder…
- Name: Send to
- click OK
- NOTE: If the new folder does not appear on the bookmarks bar, then look in existing folders and in the » folder to see if you accidentally created it there. Then simply drag it with the mouse to the location you desire.
Now you have an empty Send to menu.
To add the Blogger option to the menu, drag the text BlogThis! with the mouse from this page at blogger.com and drop on top of Send to. (So that the name makes more sense with the words Send to, you can change the name from BlogThis! to Blogger by clicking Send to, right button clicking on BlogThis!, choosing Edit, and following the directions.)
To add the Bookmarks option to the menu, drag the text Google Bookmark with the mouse from this page at google.com and drop on top of Send to. (I changed the name to Bookmarks.)1
To add the Mail option to the menu, drag the text GmailThis! with the mouse from this page at contrapants.org and drop on top of Send to. (I changed the name to Mail.)
To add the Wayback option to the menu, drag the text WayBack with the mouse from this page at gyford.com and drop on top of Send to.
To add the English option to the menu, drag the text English with the mouse from this page at google.com and drop on top of Send to.
A Google search for bookmarklets will turn up many similar options that you can consider adding to the Chrome bookmarks menu, for example at bookmarklets.com.
- There is a related Chrome customization to make your Google Bookmarks searchable from the address bar (which as far as I know is original with me). The combination of Send to Bookmarks and searchable bookmarks makes Google Bookmarks simple to use in Chrome.
April 06, 2011 1:36 PM–should be ctrl+shift+B at the beginning
Very helpful, thanks.
May 30, 2011 9:41 AM–thanks dude
the help provided y you is awesome
Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense. —Ralph Waldo Emerson
Sometimes they fool you by walking upright.
What part of “Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn” don’t you understand?
Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life. —Terry Pratchett
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig. —Robert Heinlein
Do not ask why the past was better than the present, for this is not a question prompted by wisdom. —Ecclesiastes 7:10
Power lines abruptly stopped causing cancer in 1997 after the U.S. National Cancer Institute conducted a better study. —Robert Parks
Встретимся под столом! (Vstretimsja pod stolom: To meeting you under the table!)
The more you cry, the less you’ll pee.
Relish the love of a good woman.
It’ll never get better if you keep picking at it. —advice from Judge “Maximum” Bob Gibbs